Silverlight is Microsoft's weapon to defeat their enemies at RIA war, ..but Microsoft, as many programmers, analysts, leaders, managers think, likes to have a pay for use platform and somehow obscure code that cannot be copied or used by third parties and which just works at microsoft Operating systems. That is not the case of Silverlight, just because mono has been working in a Open Source solution!!!.
Moonlight comes, as well as silverlight of course, with a rich variaty of multimedia functions to include video, vector graphics, animation, etc., within your sites and works perfectly at any many linux distributios as for example SUSE Linux Desktop Enterprise 11, openSUSE 11.x, Ubuntu 9.10, and Fedora 12.
Of course, at many RIA framework, Moonlight has thought about its integration with different serverside Technologies so if your site is based on IronRuby, IronPython, Visual Basic or PHP, for example, then smile, moonlight will fit perfectly ok!!.
Which is the roadmap of moonlight??. Microsoft and Novel have agreed to support moonlight at least to versions 3 and 4 of silverlight:
- Silverlight 3 compatible engine.
- 3D graphics
- Pixel shaders
- Application library caching
- Out-of-browser capabilities and offline support
- Pluggable media pipeline to support 3rd party codecs
- HD Smooth Streaming
- Native support for MPEG-4-based H.264/AAC Audio
- Silverlight 4 compatible engine.
- Webcam and microphone support
- Trusted applications can read/write to users' documents directories
- Improved localization, including right-to-left and bi-directional text
- Desktop notifications ("toast")
- Render HTML on Moonlight surfaces
- WCF RIA Services
..and actually Microsoft is very interested in getting its silverlight technology to linux platforms.
Will Moonlight get to work on new Google's operating system??, ..as well as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. works now on Steve Jobs's Apples...who knows??. My guess is that it will run on it, ..just a question of time (..by the way it's been a while without quoting a song at my blog so here is one related to the end sentence of this post, IS A QUESTION OF TIME ).
P.S: just 2 post this week, ..being busy, big interesting changes happening, a new country awaits :)