- No access to the DOM. This is the biggest difference compared to actual Frameworks as for example query, mootools, ...
- Use of multiple Layers or Virtual Screens. AngularJS has ngView and Famo.us has Surfaces. Instead of changing the pages adding html to it, you swap from page to another like you go from one card to another in a deck.
- CSS Transitions.
With this I am not saying that Famo.us is similar to angular.js or to knockout.js just to mention a couple as for example, actually although famou.us counts with a wonderful view management in lacks models and controllers, or it lacks a declarative process for building UIs compare to knockout.js.
So yes, again, with JS Frameoworks as it happens with cars, bikes, houses and partners, you will now find the perfect one but you will find the best that suits your needs. If you are looking to build apps with great UI with awesome animations similar to IOS/Android apps then famo.us might be your election.
I was one for the less than 100000 developers than signed p with famo.us and to tell you the truth i haven't had spent the time I would love due to some other great projects that keeps me busy but this is what I can and should tell you so far:
- It will be one of the key frameworks and development tools for web 3.0. No doubt
- They way it is based on tiny components and surfaces makes me believe that is perfect to build so many flexible solutions that can easily change every single day. (If you have used life ray to build website you might know what I am talking about).
- They are organizing meetups, demos, they have a training method, a blog??. they are trying hard to get big and they will.
- Amazon Fire Phone, Samsung Gear, Oculus, etc. once we use our fingers, head and eyes interact with apps, then 3D menus, 3D presentations, 3D interactions are one of the UX you might find. Famo.us uses the "famous" matrix3d property of CSS, which by the way is GPU accelerated by the browser, to create the User Experience everybody is looking for
Hmmm, does it mean that you need to drop all your work already done in AngularJS, which is the most interesting JS Framwork nowadays, and start using Famo'us???. Not at all. If you cannot decide between famo.us and angularJS, just do not worry as Thomas Street has taking care of building fame.us & angularJS for you to use it. You can find it right at https://famo.us/integration/angular/ and here you have the perfect 3 lessons that will help you mix this two great development kings:
Finally, How do I learn to use Famo.us??. As I mentioned before you have three awesome ways to achieve it:
Is it going to get popular??. As today, late september 2014, is being download 5000 times everyday. So start using it!!